Friday, October 14, 2011

Lemon Basil Alfredo

Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme finally has a new look!

What do you think?  Likey?  No likey?

I still have a few more things up my sleeve that I want to add but I'm pretty happy with it so far, and I hope you are too!  Don't forget to take a look around and explore the new features.  Especially the "Blogs I'm Sweet On" section...these people are all amazing!

As I mentioned last time I was asked to post an Alfredo recipe...and since I love suggestions I jumped right to it.  *Hint hint...you should leave me as many suggestions in the comments section so I can make something for you!*

This isn't your classic Alfredo recipe but it is....creamy, cheesy, lemony, and just downright dreamy.  The lemon adds this magical element that keeps you from feeling like you just ate an entire stick of butter, which comes with some Alfredo sauces.  Luckily there is still enough cream and cheese to lure in those picky eaters.

Let's get to luring...(what a strange, strange word)

 Lemon Basil Alfredo...adapted from the Pioneer Woman.

 Ingredients:
  • penne noodles 
  • 1 cup water (drained from cooked pasta)
  • 1/2 stick of butter
  • 2-3 lemons
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup half and half
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups of cheese (I used Parmesan and a Swiss/Gruyere mix)
  • fresh basil
  • garlic
  • chicken breast (optional)
  • cheesy garlic bread (also optional)
1. Make a big pile (or two) of cheese.  There should be 1 1/2 - 2 cups.
2. To be honest...I didn't exactly measure.  Set this aside for now.
3. Chop up a good amount of basil.  20 leaves or so.
4. Cook your pasta.  I used whole wheat.  But you don't have to.
5. When the pasta is cooked, drain and save 1 cup of the water.
6. In the same pot, melt 1/2 a stick of butter.  Did I mention this is a 1 pot meal?
7. Throw three minced cloves of garlic to butter. 
8. Add 3/4 cup heavy cream to butter and garlic.
9. And then 1/4 cup half and half.
10. Grab 2-3 lemons.
11. Squeeze the daylights out of those lemons.
12. Now you need to add those large mountains of cheese.  Stir until the cheese is melted.
13. Add that one cup of pasta water that you reserved earlier.  Allow 10 minutes for the sauce to thicken just a little bit.  *The sauce is somewhat thin so don't be alarmed!  It works out perfectly!*
14. Add the cooked pasta and basil leaves that you chopped up earlier.
15. Mix with a spoon until noodles are covered with sauce.


16. Dish into a bowl and top with MORE cheese!
17. I also added Trader Joe's sun dried tomato basil chicken.  Time to EAT! 






Coming up: Hmm....I think I have a sweet tooth coming in.

2 comments:

  1. whoooah, totes awesome!! and the banner looks gorgeous!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These posts make me realize that I need to paint my nails more often. I was craving this mean this weekend... yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...